The Sugar Industry Biotech Council provides science-based information regarding biotechnology and other technological advances in sugar beet and sugar cane crops. This image of the world illustrates the worldwide approvals for safety that supports the planting of sugar beets improved through biotechnology.

Regulatory Approvals

Roundup Ready sugar beets have been approved for production in the United States and Canada since 2005.

Only a small percentage of U.S.-produced sugar and sugar-containing products are exported to other countries. In fact, 97 percent of sugar produced in the United States is sold in the United States. Of the export markets that receive the remaining 3 percent, three of the most significant for sugar from U.S. sugar beet and sugar cane production – Japan, Canada, and Mexico – as well as the United States, have granted regulatory approval to Roundup Ready® sugar beets for food and feed uses.

Regulatory approvals for food and feed uses have been obtained in most of the remaining export markets, including the European Union, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Colombia, Russia, China, Singapore and the Philippines. Regulatory approvals are in progress for the other remaining export markets that have established biotech regulatory systems. Additional export markets allow imports even though they presently do not have formal regulations for importation of biotechnology-enhanced products.

This broad international approval of Roundup Ready sugar beets and their derived products, including sugar, molasses, and pulp, supports widespread commercial production of Roundup Ready sugar beets in the United States and Canada.

Roundup® and Roundup Ready® are registered trademarks of Monsanto Technology LLC.

Site Search